CROP WALKS are ecumenical, interfaith community events. Undesignated funds help support the worldwide programs of Church World Service. In partnership, CWS supports self-help development, meets emergency needs and helps address the root causes of poverty and powerlessness. Sponsors may also designate their gifts to other approved international hunger-fighting agencies including, but not limited to, Heifer International, Medical Assistance Program, and Outreach International.
Crop Walks are symbolic. They are a way of showing solidarity with people in developing countries around the world. In addition, local groups receive 25% of the funds raised to support hunger-related agencies and groups in their own communities.
- Cropwalkers help support local Hunger Ministries which provide food to people in Lorain County
- Cropwalkers help provide relief and development assistance in more than 90 countries including the United States
- Church World Service was able to respond to the Tsunami disaster because of your past support to CROP. Long standing programs inn Indonesia, Pakistan and Laos with staff trained in emergency response had been established. Thanks to CROP emergency medical supplies, blankets, kits and other resources were pre-positioned in Asia ready for use.
Some examples of the way CROP WALK makes a difference include:
- $4,000,000+ The amount shared by CROP WALKS each year with local food banks, pantries and community gardens.
- $2,000 Approximate number of communities around the country who will hold a CROP WALK this year, involving people of all faiths.
- $1,600 Cost of a building kit — wooden beams, window frames, lintels, doors, nails, plastic cement and other materials — for an Afghan family rebuilding their home in the wake of war.
- $100 Cost of field and garden seed for six families.
- $30 Cost of three pairs of rabbits to increase families incomes.
Elyria-Lorain churches hold their crop walk annually on the fourth Saturday in April. During the first 29 years our CROP WALK raised $444,069. Ours is one of the largest CROP WALKS in Ohio.